Blueprint Medicines is a top-tier, innovative, public biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing highly-selective kinase inhibitors for genomically defined diseases. Originally funded by Third Rock Ventures, the company has built a one-of-kind annotated compound collection which is delivering a pipeline of novel therapies, and a sophisticated genomics platform.
This is an excellent opportunity for a physician with experience in oncology clinical development to work within a rapidly growing company. The Vice President, Clinical Development in conjunction with the CMO will lead the strategic direction of one or more of Blueprint’s clinical programs and be a key driver in drug development for both time and quality. He/She will be responsible for the design and execution of clinical studies, help to create the clinical development plan for new compounds, and pave a path towards regulatory approval. The Blueprint Medicines pipeline is currently focused in research and early clinical development; therefore the physician will work closely with scientists in discovery research and translational medicine, as well as non-clinical safety, DMPK/clinical pharmacology, biostatistics, clinical operations, and commercial development. The physician will also lead and participate in teleconferences with academic study investigators, advisory meetings with opinion leaders, and interactions with Health Authorities. The physician will interact closely with the company management team. A genuine interest and understanding of the science supporting the Blueprint Medicines pipeline, an ability to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team setting, and a commitment to developing new treatments for patients with cancer are critical for success.
- Directly responsible for the design and writing of oncology clinical study protocols from first-in-human phase 1 through phase 2 and phase 3 pivotal studies that will support regulatory approvals
- Directly manage and serve as medical monitor for multiple ongoing clinical trials, including evaluation of clinical and laboratory data, assessing safety, making dose escalation decisions, and assessing early pharmacodynamic and clinical signals of activity, all in close collaboration with the full clinical team.
- Write clinical sections of key documents, including Investigator’s Brochures, IND summary documents, CTAs for initiation of studies ex-US, responses to questions from regulatory authorities, IRBs and ethics committees, and NDAs
- Provide strategic leadership of the existing and planned clinical programs to support global filings
- Facilitate the development of key internal and external documents pertaining to product development including clinical study protocol, informed consents, CRFs, CSRs meeting abstracts and presentations, scientific journal publications, strategy documents and clinical/project development
- Work closely with all external vendors such as CROs, external imaging and laboratory resources, to manage trial logistics with optimal time and quality
- Represents Blueprint Medicines at key national and international medical and scientific meetings including participation and/or leadership of advisory boards with key option leaders
- Provide medical review, assessment and interpretation of all clinical data reported in clinical study reports to ensure that the data are correct and presented with the appropriate medical interpretation
- Collaborates with Blueprint R&D team, regulatory affairs, and consultants to assure timely filing of all clinical applications
- Work closely with Pharmacovigilance on development of Risk Management Plans
- Educate and mentor others within Blueprint
- Display a genuine interest and understanding of the science supporting the Blueprint Medicines pipeline, an ability to work collaboratively in a matrixed, multidisciplinary team setting, and a commitment to developing new treatments for patients with cancer are critical for success.
- Ensure consistent practices with the highest ethical standards in compliance with internal SOPs, local regulations and laws
- An M.D. with Board Certification or Board Eligibility in adult or pediatric oncology and/or hematology
- Strong leadership skills and proven biopharmaceutical industry experience developing, planning, designing and executing early and late stage programs. Experience with high-complexity first-in-human studies is highly desired
- 7-10 years’ experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry including direct experience leading and a thorough understanding of the drug development process from IND through NDA, including novel clinical study designs, application of companion diagnostics for patient selection, clinical operations and pharmacovigilance
- Experience presenting to a wide variety of audiences including internal teams and medical/scientific communities
- Strong working knowledge of the FDA and other regulatory organizations (EU)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to relate to both internal and external stakeholders
- At home in a results-driven, highly accountable environment where you can make a clear impact
- A team player, who listens effectively and invites response and discussion
- A collaborator who communicates in an open, clear, complete, timely and consistent manner
- Maintains a Blueprint Medicines, rather than a functional, perspective and acting on the belief that solutions and plans are stronger when appropriate collaboration occurs across and beyond the company
- Creates alignment horizontally and vertically by making a case for one’s approach that resonates and brings people along by addressing not only facts but emotion
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, approximately 25%
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
WHO WE ARE:
Blueprint Medicines’ mission is to dramatically improve the lives of patients with genomically defined diseases. Our singular focus is to use our deep understanding of the genetic blueprint of cancer and other diseases driven by the abnormal activation of kinases to craft highly selective medicines aimed at eradicating these diseases.
We don’t think in small steps. We think in giant leaps.
We are driven by the pursuit of new ideas, new innovations, and new ways of thinking.
We know that what each and every one of us does matters and that our success depends on our ability to work together. We believe we are at our best as a company when our employees are thriving and foster a culture that provides opportunities to grow and develop professionally, while also having fun.