Blueprint Medicines is a biopharmaceutical company with a singular focus on eradicating genomically defined diseases. We are developing transformational medicines rooted in our world-leading expertise in protein kinases, which are proven drivers of disease. Our uniquely targeted, scalable approach empowers the rapid design and development of new treatments and increases the likelihood of clinical success. In addition to multiple research programs, we are currently advancing three investigational medicines in clinical development for subsets of patients with gastrointestinal stromal tumors, systemic mastocytosis, hepatocellular carcinoma, non-small cell lung cancer, medullary thyroid cancer, and other genomically defined cancers.
We are seeking an exceptional candidate to lead patient advocacy at Blueprint Medicines. Reporting to the Vice President of Corporate Affairs, the Director of Patient Advocacy will drive engagement with patient advocacy groups across the company’s portfolio, gather patient insights to inform our clinical development programs, develop and implement strategic programs and partnerships, and champion the patient perspective within the company. The right candidate will be an excellent communicator with an ability to develop meaningful relationships, a strategic thinker that can bridge the complexities of patient care and drug development, a seasoned collaborator who can successfully lead and influence external and internal stakeholders, and a highly motivated self-starter who is comfortable innovating in an entrepreneurial and fast-paced start-up company environment.
- Champion the patient perspective and provide strategic insights to internal teams to foster understanding; bring to life the Blueprint Medicines core value “patients first” by directly connecting employees to the patient experience
- Contribute to the company’s evolving philosophy and long-term vision for patient engagement
- Develop strategic plans for engaging global patient communities across the Blueprint Medicines portfolio, with an emphasis on clinical-stage programs
- Represent Blueprint Medicines and its programs at meetings and other interactions with patient advocacy groups and disease communities
- Serve as a key relationship manager for global patient advocacy groups and manage regular communications to ensure productive partnerships
- Identify, initiate and oversee strategic patient advocacy programs and partnerships related to disease awareness and education, diagnosis, access to appropriate care, and policy advocacy, in collaboration with a cross-functional team –
- Support clinical trial awareness and patient identification initiatives across the portfolio to support rapid trial enrollment and execution
- Lead or contribute to the development of patient-facing educational materials across the organization
- Partner with medical affairs and clinical to ensure patient inquiries about our programs are rapidly and consistently addressed with accurate and compliant information
- Oversee handling of requests and manage budget for patient advocacy group sponsorships, grants and charitable contributions
- Partner effectively with critical cross-functional partners including commercial, medical affairs, clinical, research, legal, and regulatory; provide leadership to external partners and manage specific vendor projects
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred (e.g., MS, RN, PhD, or MD)
- Minimum 5 years of direct patient advocacy experience in the biopharmaceutical industry; overall 10 years of relevant industry or non-profit experience
- Experience in oncology and/or rare diseases
- Strong understanding of patient care models, drug development and regulatory processes, and commercialization of therapeutics
- Exceptional communicator skilled at relationship building and expressing empathy for patients and families in need; highly perceptive, socially intelligent, and intuitive
- Strong leadership skills with a proven ability to collaborate effectively with internal and external stakeholders at all levels and influence decision-making without authority
- Highly motivated individual with the flexibility and creativity to excel in a rapidly growing and changing environment; confidence and organizational skills to independently work on multiple tasks
- Must be willing and able to travel (approximately 30%) and regularly meet with patient advocacy organizations in the U.S. and internationally
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
WHO WE ARE:
Blueprint Medicines’ mission is to dramatically improve the lives of patients with genomically defined diseases. Our singular focus is to use our deep understanding of the genetic blueprint of cancer and other diseases driven by the abnormal activation of kinases to craft highly selective medicines aimed at eradicating these diseases.
We don’t think in small steps. We think in giant leaps.
We are driven by the pursuit of new ideas, new innovations, and new ways of thinking.
We know that what each and every one of us does matters and that our success depends on our ability to work together. We believe we are at our best as a company when our employees are thriving and foster a culture that provides opportunities to grow and develop professionally, while also having fun.