At Blueprint Medicines, as our name indicates, we are creating a blueprint for the future of healthcare. We are a leading company in the personalized medicine revolution by focusing on delivering new medicines that are targeted to the genetic driver of disease. We do this by leveraging our one-of-a-kind drug discovery platform to discover, develop and work to bring highly-selective kinase inhibitors to patients globally. This prolific scientific platform has enabled Blueprint Medicines to build a pipeline of novel therapies that span three distinct areas of medicine; genomically defined cancers, rare diseases and cancer immunotherapy.
The Vice President, Medical Affairs will be responsible for building, developing and leading a Medical Affairs department appropriate for the evolving needs of Blueprint Medicines. S/he will report to the Chief Medical Officer, be a member of the Clinical Leadership Team and play a key role in helping to establish policy, contribute to Blueprint’s R&D efforts and collaborate with Marketing/Commercial to ensure appropriate and compliant scientific/clinical information to health care professionals. Over time s/he will grow the department to include a team of internal and external facing professionals including MDs, Medical Communications, Education, MSLs and HEOR professionals. This position will have a strong outward facing presence in the global and regional KOL community.
- Build and lead a leading Medical Affairs organization by developing/implementing a strategy, identifying and directing appropriate resources and attracting and retaining top talent.
- Lead the development of Global medical affairs (GMA) [KM2] and associated activities including Publication Planning, Medical Advisory Boards, Educational Programs, Conferences, and responding to requests for medical information.
- Lead development, implementation and analysis of Phase IV [AB3] Studies and programs, and execute Life Cycle Management plans.
- Develop Investigator Sponsored Trials (ISTs) strategy and review process
- Hold the overall management responsibilities and leadership for the company’s medical affairs organization in meeting corporate goals and objectives and keeping in compliance with applicable policies and regulations.
- Develop and implement a process for responding to external requests for information regarding compounds in development and approved products.
- Establish professional relationships with the medical community and exchange scientific knowledge with global and regional opinion leaders to identify current and future business opportunities and emerging medical and health care practices.
- Collaborate internally with clinical and regulatory departments to support the planning, execution and management of clinical trial activities. Support registrational studies through site identification, patient identification and clinical trial recruitment initiatives.
- Collaborate with Marketing/Commercial organization to ensure timely, accurate and compliant preparation and review of promotional and educational material.
- Work closely with Clinical Development and Operations to ensure appropriate institutions and academic centers have opportunities to participate in Blueprint’s clinical programs.
- Oversee speaker programs on Blueprint Medicines’ disease state, current therapeutics and patient care gaps.
- Develop and implement methods and procedures for developing scientific presentations to individuals and groups of strategic importance to Blueprint Medicines.
- Represent Blueprint’s brand and present data at advisory boards, clinical investigator meetings, congresses, etc.
- Establish and execute a strategic publication and Congress plan. Work with internal team to develop key messages on disease state, MOA, target product profile, molecular diagnosis, etc.
- Evaluate health economics landscape in each disease area and establish an outcomes research plan.
- Oversee design and implementation of a pre-approval/compassionate access program
- Remain on the forefront of the relevant science and competitive landscape
Qualifications and Capabilities:
- MD, PharmD or PhD with Oncology experience is required; a minimum of 10 years of medical affairs or clinical research experience within the pharmaceutical industry, CRO health-related consulting company, or biomedical/clinical experience within academia (or a combination of aforementioned).
- Track record of success in building and leading teams and strong managerial experience essential.
- Successful track record cultivating a high performance organization; effective as a mentor and coach; able to attract, develop, motivate and retain key talent.
- Ability to think innovatively about medical affairs strategy and accurately anticipate future consequences and trends
- Well-grounded in drug development with extraordinary leadership competencies and the strategic business perspective needed to bring products forward successfully.
- Demonstrated ability to lead by example and model collaborative behavior by soliciting opinions, coupled with the ability to make key decisions and be effective in getting the team behind the decisions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and high-level negotiation skills.
- Ability to interact and communicate openly and effectively with Senior Management, external opinion leaders, regulatory bodies and development team members.
- Experience conducting formal presentations to Senior Management and external opinion leaders.
- Strong analytical skills, especially with regard to understanding and interpreting scientific and clinical research and literature are essential.
- Demonstrated self-starter and team player with strong interpersonal skills.
- Adept, nimble, energetic and comfortable in a fast-paced, dynamic and collaborative environment.
- Capable of taking a hands-on approach and willing to “roll up one’s sleeves.”
- Extensive travel is required as part of this position (50%).
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
WHO WE ARE:
Blueprint Medicines’ mission is to dramatically improve the lives of patients with genomically defined diseases. Our singular focus is to use our deep understanding of the genetic blueprint of cancer and other diseases driven by the abnormal activation of kinases to craft highly selective medicines aimed at eradicating these diseases.
We don’t think in small steps. We think in giant leaps.
We are driven by the pursuit of new ideas, new innovations, and new ways of thinking.
We know that what each and every one of us does matters and that our success depends on our ability to work together. We believe we are at our best as a company when our employees are thriving and foster a culture that provides opportunities to grow and develop professionally, while also having fun.